We decided to switch to cloth diapers for Wee Rose to save some money and I decided like a nutter to make them myself to save even more. I estimated I could probably make enough to last until she is potty trained (or needs training pants) for less than $150. Sounds great right? Well I don't think I thought the effort through.
What I've done so far:
- Made a pattern from an existing cloth diaper. An All-in-One BumGenius. I love those diapers but they are pricey.
- Ordered hook & loop tape along with PUL fabric from Kids in the Garden. From everything I read you don't want to use Velcro you can buy at Joann's or Michael's because it doesn't hold up well to washing. I've noticed this myself when I've used it before. I ordered Touch Tape. The PUL fabric will become the waterproof outer cover for each diaper.
- I visited 3 thrift stores looking for cheap sheets in either flannel or cotton knit. I found a fair amount. Originally I tried to see if a store would sell me their selvage t-shirts by either the pound or the bag but I had no luck. Quick change of plans led to hunting for sheets. I found what I hope is enough and a quilted mattress topper I think will be great for making the absorbent inserts.
- I started cutting everything out and Oh boy is it a lot of cutting. As of right now I have cut from the sheets enough for 18 diapers.
I'm hoping to be done with all the cutting by Friday so that I can start assembly this weekend. I do have a deadline. I have about 2 weeks before we run out of disposable diapers to have at least half of my goal done. I'm aiming for 40 diapers.
Online Sources I am using:
- Kids in the Garden (Supplier)
- Wazoodle (Supplier)